Sunday, June 15, 2014

Ha Ha: Humor in the Story

I noticed the bulges as both had guns, the first in a shoulder holster under the sport coat, the other in a belt holster covered by his hanging shirt. Both approached slowly trying to size me up, as I had been of them. I wished I’d pulled my gun out of the glove box when I’d gotten out of the car. It was a little late now and saying “Excuse me gentlemen while I get my gun” would not likely be met with joy on their part.

I'm a funny guy I've been told. Well by people other than my wife and daughter have said this. Apparently they've heard all my jokes already. But in my writing I like using a sharp wit with my main character Jarvis Mann. With even the craziest things going on around him, he cracks a joke to defuse the situation, even at his own expense. In the parking lot of a shopping center he tries to crack the intimidating stone face of two men trying to drag him off against his will. This is crucial to mask his fear and in this case distract his opponents.

“What can I do for you gentlemen?” I asked, seeing there was no one around to notice us. “If you’re looking for a good deal on a TV Best Buy is the place to shop.” Sometimes I couldn't help myself with stupid humor. “Or maybe you need some cat food. You both look like cat owners to me.”

No humor for me makes for a boring story. I need a few laughs within the violence and action, rounding out the storyline. Releasing some of the tension in the room is important. I like the idea of bringing a smile to a readers face.

“I think you two got your wardrobes mixed up,” I said. “Shouldn't the cowboy hat go with the cowboy boots, and the Rockies cap with the sneakers? I call out fashion faux pas.”

Or maybe my wife and daughter were right all along... :-)

Do you use humor is your writing and how do you incorporate it?


2 comments:

  1. I agree. Humor is important in writing to me, too. Ignore the occasional joke and you'd probably end up with a book that might have a great plot... but one that no one read because they couldn't make it through the bland first few chapters.

    I write medieval themed fiction. Need to do some digging to come up with relate-able humor there, but the results are pretty good if you work hard enough.

    Great post, R Weir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure it's tough not to use topical humor or phrases in your writing. Probably only Monty Python can get away with that. :-)

      Delete