Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Editing Journey

You have that first draft written and it took forever to finish. The hard part is over, or is it? Now you've got to proof read and edit, fix plot holes and inconsistencies, shape your characters and locations so they are three dimensional; getting the manuscript a little more polished and closer to where it should be. So how do you go about it and is it harder than knocking out the first draft?

Do you edit, reread your work while you write? Or do you just hammer out the first draft and then rewrite afterwards? Do you go to family or friends for guidance? What about Alpha and Beta Readers? Do you have them and how did you find them? Do you offer them some compensation? How many Alpha Beta readers do you use on one piece? And what about professional editing. Is a professional editor necessary for Indie Authors? What can you expect to pay for professional editing services?

I'm asking more questions than I have answers for because I'm still new to this. It is very hard for me to chop up, throw out and rework something I already spent a great deal of time on. I want to be as independent as possible and be able to do it all myself, but of course I can't. I have to find people to help me get on the right track if I've gone off the rails. I've learned that family isn't the way to go and I need someone outside my personal circle to give feedback. So far I haven't used Alpha readers, but have found a few Beta readers, and they have been helpful pointing to things I can't see having lived in the project for so long. It's a long trek to reach that satisfactory The End.

Comment and let me know how your editing journey typically goes...

4 comments:

  1. HI! I always do a little editing as I go along. I'll write a chapter, print it off, give it a quick comb through then continue to the next chapter. I will also make notes on things that might not sound right, character behavior I am unsure of. Editing feels more systematic to me. My head is in a different place than when creating the first draft. I also try to use as many beta readers as I can get. Usually they are friends and family, so it's hard to get an unbiased response to what they think. And it can be hard to figure out everything that may wrong with your ms. I feel too close to mine sometimes to pick out even some of the obvious issues. That's when I step away from the project for awhile and come back to it with a fresh mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal. Good to hear from you. Sounds like you find it difficult to edit on the computer since you say you print it out. It funny because I can edit on the screen somewhat but its amazing how much more you catch when printing it out. I wish on could print on both sides to save paper. Happy editing...

      Delete
  2. I regularly go over early chapters and edit as I work on a novel. It keeps the backstory fresh in my mind and the tone consistent as I progress. Many full edits (print and digital) are still essential when the story is completed and you can never have too many beta readers. The best thing is to put the story aside for at least 3 months when it is finished so as to approach it with relatively fresh eyes. It is a lot easier to cut stuff after this period of separation. Good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. +David Clarkson Thanks for the advice.I've had now four beta readers on my short story and I'm finishing up a rewrite on my first novel and started a second. The ideas come fast and furious, unfortunately faster than I can get it on the computer.

    ReplyDelete