Saturday, March 15, 2014

The process of writing

Where do your ideas come from? Do they come from everyday life experiences or that active imagination you've had since you were young! Do they come from other writers, TV or movies? I must say for me it's a little of all of these and that active imagination has been their since my youth.
Once you have an idea what is your process for getting it on paper? Do you outline the story before writing, or just write it out? Once I have an idea I for one like to just write and see what comes out. I have a rough outline in my head but much of it develops as I write it, then I outline as I go. I'm curious the process of writing for others as well.

6 comments:

  1. My ideas can come from anywhere - a random comment, TV shows, songs, or a dream. I tend to write what comes to me with a general idea of how the story should go in my head. Sometimes I write out of sequence - the end will come to me before I'm half-way through the story so I just go with it and try to get my characters to that ending... doesn't always work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did much the same with the last novel I'm working on, I was writing it from the beginning but the ending was so prevalent in my head I wrote it before finishing the middle. Whether it worked right or not we'll see as I'm still in rewrite mode.

      Delete
  2. I get my best ideas from dreams. You know when you first wake in the morning and decided to go back to sleep a bit longer? That's when the best ideas come in semi-waking dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember once I had a really bad fever, 102 or so, and I had this whole story idea that was running through my head from beginning to end. It was very surreal and I probably forgot some of it, but I did use it later on.

      Delete
  3. My writing covers random thoughts drawn from everyday life. Sometimes an event or experience leads to a topic I can ramble about endlessly. Much of my writing starts with one thought then morphs into several related thoughts. Sometimes I change topic all together with out warning. I don't outline. I just write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be fun to have those creative juices flowing from the littlest things. I do get that from time to time, but getting the time to write them out is my challenge. I've probably forgotten more good thoughts than what I been able to get down on paper. But I keep plugging along when I have the time. Best to you...

    ReplyDelete