Friday, March 21, 2014

The Social Connection for Authors

So for me the hardest part of writing is the social aspect. It's that part where I feel I'm begging people, saying look at me I'm a writer. Like a child jumping up an down and acting out to get their parents attention. Whether it's Google+, Facebook or Twitter, it's a necessary evil, or maybe I should say necessary source to build an audience, but goes against my natural instincts. Of course if no one reads what I wrote that bums me out to. :-)

How much of your time do you spend posting and monitoring in social media? Do you feel it takes precious time away from your writing? Do you find it's difficult to disconnect once connected? What are your tips for doing it efficiently? Do you have someone assist you like a family member?

Early on I'm finding this on par with the writing, work and personal balance I'm struggling with. The social interaction can be very addicting and I find I must put time limits on how long I spend on it or it can consume me. If only we didn't need sleep I could do it all....

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so with you on this one, Jarvis.
    Here I am, in the middle of the night, catching up on social media networking. Sometimes I think I should just ask everyone, 'Are you likely ever to buy my books?' Then, if they say, 'No!' I could just skip reading and commenting and reaching out to them....but I know I'm not going to do that...tempting though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's necessary for an Indie Author. If we were big time then we'd have the Publishing company and agents do all of that. But of course we give up our freedom to write what we want. It's a trade off.

      Delete